2018 MEMBER-DIRECTED PRIORITIES
Members of the Coalition do not merely sign-up to join, they put significant skin in the game. The result? A vested group of individuals and organizations with a high level of expectation.
Et the end of each year we gather and discuss proposed priorities for the upcoming year at our annual RNG Conference.
The Coalition for Renewable Natural Gas, Inc. (RNG Coalition) advocates for increased development, deployment and utilization of renewable natural gas so that present and future generations will have access to this domestic, renewable, clean fuel and energy supply.
The RNG Coalition’s 2018 Priority is a continuation of our 2017 Priority: to provide public policy advocacy and education that will enable the number of RNG projects in North America to double from 51 in 2015 to more than 100 projects by the year 2025.
The RNG Coalition will continue to place a heavy emphasis on public policy advocacy. Policy makers have significant sway over the status of existing and new markets, market certainty and to a degree, the future of the RNG industry. Policy, rules and regulations impact project feasibility, profitability and sustainability, and ultimately determine where or whether RNG Coalition Members will develop new RNG projects. Accordingly, we will engage early and often with persons, departments and agencies at the federal, state and provincial levels to advocate for the advancement of the RNG Coalition’s Mission.
The RNG Coalition and industry has never been stronger or better organized. Still, we recognize that 2018 begins as a period of great uncertainty - and many questions about the incoming Trump Administration loom large. Accordingly, we will proactively double down on advocacy efforts to demonstrate the value of RNG and the RNG industry both to the new Administration and members of the 115th Congress. Should threats emerge, we are prepared to respond quickly, in unity and with strength.
As to specific proposals, our Priority necessitates that we measure our level of engagement by the potential impact on RNG, the RNG industry and the sustainability of existing or viability of future RNG projects. If a policy involves more than RNG, we will focus our advocacy on the relevant components and comment on the entire policy only as it relates to RNG and the RNG industry.
Prior to all policy engagement, we will ask:
Does our engagement best position the RNG industry in North America to double in size by 2025?
Entering 2018, the U.S. Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS2) and California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), various states’ Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPS) and the associated markets have the most significant impact on RNG industry growth, project development, production volumes and deployment of related services. As such, we will advocate for RNG within these and similar federal, state and provincial policies. We will consider both the immediate and long-term affects of our policy position on the RNG industry.
Non-discriminatory pipeline access and realistic gas quality standards are critical to the viability of RNG projects. We will advocate for both throughout North America and especially in California where the Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) is now under order to reassess current siloxane standards and minimum heating value requirements.
Financial incentives like loan guarantees, price floors, cap and trade revenue, grants and tax credits impact the financial viability of RNG projects. We will work with federal, state and provincial governments and allies to better position the RNG industry to gain eligibility for and take advantage of these incentives.
Public awareness of renewable natural gas is growing as a result of the RNG Coalition’s efforts, but given the nature of politics, term limits and the relative size of the RNG industry compared to other competing special interests, we still have much work to do. We will utilize social and traditional media to increase awareness and understanding of RNG.
- We will educate policy makers at the federal, state and provincial levels about the economic and environmental benefits of RNG so that they can make well-informed policy decision about RNG, regardless of the end-use.
- We will collect, develop and share relevant data and research to substantiate RNG policy and education claims, and to inform and equip our Members.
- We will promote best business practices and work to enhance a civil dialogue about the best ways to help the RNG industry grow and thrive.
- We will attend and speak at relevant conferences, workshops, public hearings, committees and events to educate potential allies about the nexus between RNG, biogas and conventional natural gas.
- We will launch the RNG Continuing Education Program for purposes of educating investor and public owned utility staff about renewable natural gas.
- We will host the first annual RNG Summit in conjunction with our annual Washington DC Fly-in and Capitol Hill Day to provide RNG Coalition members with access to and timely updates from policy makers and regulatory agency implementers.
- We will host the first annual RNG Expo to enable RNG Coalition Members and industry companies to showcase RNG-related technologies, capabilities, innovation and services.
- We will host the RNG 2018 Conference to bring the renewable natural gas industry executives together to provide real-time updates on relevant policy and market developments, to facilitate premier business networking opportunities, to celebrate RNG Coalition accomplishments to date, and recalibrate for the work ahead in the New Year.
We will serve all RNG Coalition Members with professional, personal and timely attention - and strive to exceed all expectations, including as follows:
We will think, plan and develop with the RNG industry’s best immediate and long-term interests in mind.
We will provide a clear, strong and unified voice for the RNG industry.
We will listen to and value feedback from RNG Coalition Members and industry stakeholders.
We will clearly and consistently communicate pertinent information to our Members in the most timely and professional manner possible.
We will always respect and keep Member’s confidential business information private.
We will advocate for the advancement (increased development, deployment and utilization) and protection of RNG and the RNG industry.